Fret Not – Venturing Beyond First (2nd and 4th Positions)
This course concentrates on reading, locating, and practicing 2nd and 4th positions using all two-finger combinations across all four strings.
Are you comfortable in first position and want to venture into higher positions on the cello but don’t know where to begin? Or have you started to learn positions beyond first but feel uncertain about what notes are under your fingers in 2nd and 4th positions across all strings? Do you struggle with reading the notes on the page and finding them on the fingerboard in 2nd and 4th positions? Then this course is for you.
This class is specifically for adult students who are comfortable in first position and want to gain confidence in their knowledge of 2nd and 4th positions.
This online course aims to help students solidify their knowledge and understanding of 2nd and 4th positions across all four strings. It was designed to be taken over the course of six weeks, but students may move at their own pace.
This course concentrates on reading, locating, and practicing 2nd and 4th positions using all two-finger combinations. Students will receive a PDF booklet containing original exercises by Erica Lessie written specifically for this course.
This is an asynchronous video class. You may ask questions via email.
Although there is no real-time feedback from Erica with this version of the class, it is a great choice for those in different time zones or for those who need an asynchronous option.
- PDF course booklet with exercises written by Erica Lessie specifically for this course
- Six class videos, approximately 1-hour each in length
- Access to the instructor via email in order to ask questions
- 12-month access to the materials
How This Class Works
- For each class, students will receive a PDF containing the exercises.
- Each class has a pre-recorded class video.
- This was designed as a six-week course. We suggest that students take at least one week for every class in order to learn all of the material, but students may move through at their own pace.
- Course fee: $180
- Erica will answer questions via email.
- A computer, tablet, or phone with an internet connection capable of viewing videos.
- Your cello
- A way to read class PDFs (a tablet, computer, or printed copies)
- A tuner
- A way to take notes and mark your music (pencil and paper, or the digital equivalent)
Please send any questions to Erica.
If you have any website, PDF download, or Guild questions, comments, or suggestions, please contact the Cello Guild.
Thank you so much.